[Nut-upsuser] Solaris/NUT 'wall' behaviour

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 01:09:37 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 11:08 AM, Huge <huge at huge.org.uk> wrote:
> I have compiled and installed NUT-2.2.1 on Solaris 10 on my Sunblade
> 2000 and it seems to work very well, except that the behaviour of
> 'wall', which upsmon uses to report significant events, may differ on
> Solaris from other systems. On Sol10, wall writes the message *only* on
> the console, unless the "-a" switch is used. On a standard JDS (GNOME)
> system, there isn't normally a console window, so I never see the
> messages.
>
> Is this the same behaviour as elsewhere? The Linux man pages imply
> otherwise.

I definitely see "wall" messages on all ssh connections on my Linux
(Ubuntu) test machine.

> Anyway, I've modified upsmon to call "wall -a" instead of "wall" and it
> now does what I want.

Do you (or anyone else running Solaris) know if this behavior changed
in Solaris 10?

> Is it worth making this a configuration option or putting it in the
> documentation somewhere? Indeed, would anyone be interested in my notes?
> I don't know how many Sun SPARC users of NUT there are...

It doesn't sound too complicated to add in a check in the configure
script. (That's why I'm interested in whether it is just Solaris 10,
or if it has been this way for a while.)

As far as your notes are concerned: I would hazard a guess that for
every user who asks about a problem on a mailing list, there are
several others who will encounter the same problem but give up and try
something else, rather than emailing to ask. Thus, IMHO, the more
OS-specific information we can provide to users, the better.

--
- Charles Lepple