[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite Smart1000LCD problem with revision > r1071

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Mar 3 19:54:59 UTC 2008

cythrault at gmail.com wrote:

> With recent revision, it's impossible to get upsdrvctl started:
>
> [root at teevee nut]# /usr/local/bin/upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.3.0-1352
> Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.3.0-1352)
>
> Warning: This is an experimental driver.
> Some features may not function correctly.
>
> Using subdriver: TrippLite HID 0.2 (experimental)
> HIDGetDataValue: Value too large for defined data type

I don't see a message that it failed to start.

> This began with r1072...

Quite possible. Before then, this error condition wasn't handled. But I
don't see why it should prevent the driver from starting and as far as I
can see, the driver started properly.

> I wanted to include a debug output but it does not seems to end:

That's what it is supposed to do, it will run in the foreground until
you stop it.

> [root at teevee ~]# /usr/local/bin/usbhid-ups -D -a smart1000lcd
> Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.3.0-1352)
>
> Warning: This is an experimental driver.
> Some features may not function correctly.

[...]

> Detected a UPS: Tripp Lite /TRIPP LITE UPS

Here you are, the driver detected a UPS and further on in the debug
output it is clear that it proceeds to 'upsdrv_updateinfo'. It wouldn't
if it failed to start.

> Can't retrieve Report 49: Value too large for defined data type
> HIDGetDataValue: Value too large for defined data type

The report descriptor in your UPS is broken. It wants to return more
data for report 49, than it says it needs. If we then ask for this
report, the libusb library will warn that the data was truncated.
Nothing to worry about, unless you happen to work for Tripp Lite.

> After some back and forth, I was able to locate a functioning revision
> (1071) so I'm now running ok... I wanted to submit this in case it
> might help.

Thanks for your report. You can safely ignore this informational message
(we'll remove it from the driver once it is release, you're not the
first who is alarmed by it for no good reason at all).