[Nut-upsuser] 24V DC ATX PSU with limited UPS functionality over USB

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:25:30 UTC 2008

[this is probably more of a nut-upsdev thread, but I'll let you switch
it if you decide to go down this road.]

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at freenet.de> wrote:
>  And last not least, I want to build a "PowerWhatch" module which should
>  be connected from the PSU to an internal USB port of the mainboard.
[...]
>  Since I do not want to reinvent the wheel, I like to use existing
>  programs where I think, NUT is the perfect solution...  The problem is,
>  HOW I have to deliver the data to it or how must I provide it?

NUT currently supports two fairly generic standards, SNMP and USB
HID/PDC (in addition to a wide variety of proprietary protocols). The
DS80C411 seems to support Ethernet, so SNMP might be an option. (Don't
be fooled by how complex the host-side SNMP code is - SNMP is meant to
be easy to implement on the embedded-device side, if you are serving
up a static dataset.)

You also mentioned USB above. If you go the USB route, and design a
HID PDC (power device class) interface, it should be fairly simple to
add support to the usbhid-ups module in NUT. It might also even work
in other OSes.

>  The "PowerWhatch" module picks only the Voltage and Amperes and
>  Temperature from each of the 11 modules... and maybe it will store them
>  for a while in a 8-16 kByte NV-RAM or something like this...

One thing that we currently don't do much with in NUT is deal with
historical data - mostly because there are very few UPSes out there
that return anything other than current status. You can, of course,
log things external to NUT by querying it through the TCP client
interface, and many people have stored the data in systems such as
rrdtool or MRTG.

--
- Charles Lepple