[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite OMNI1000 LCD issues

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Mar 29 17:28:38 UTC 2008

> I wrote a while back about the inability to kill the
> following command with anything but "kill -9" and the
> apparent high speed polling rate.
>
> # /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -u root -DDD -a trippy

I can't reproduce this on my system. When I start the driver with the
above line I can stop the driver by either sending it a SIGTERM or SIGKILL
signal. This seems to be something that is specific to your setup. I'm not
familiar with Debian however, so I can't help you here.

[...]

> I believe the "pollfreq=num" config option should limit the
> polling frequency, but setting it to a large value like 900
> appears to do nothing. The debug out scrolls up the screen
> in a blur.

You misunderstood what a 'poll' means in 'usbhid-ups'. Pollfreq will only
limit the polling frequency (see 'man 8 usbhid-ups'). In between it will
still read (and process) reports it receives over the interrupt pipeline,
so if these are send (and they are for the OMNI1000), it will be far from
silent. In the debug output these objects will show up as 'Got 1 HID
objects...' (where the actual number may be higher).

> Would an strace on usbhid-ups show any useful information?

Not at this point.

> The first 150 lines if debug info follows:

[...]

This looks all normal. Unfortunately, you trimmed the output already
before the listening socket for the server is opened. It would be useful
to run the driver with '-DD' and see what happens then. You need to let it
run for a while, until you've captured a few 'upsdrv_updateinfo()' calls.
You should specifically watch for a line that starts with 'dstate_init'
(where a listening socket for the server is created). You may also want to
checkout that you didn't do something weird to the STATEPATH (the
directory where this socket is created). After starting up the driver, you
should be able to see a listening socket being created there.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands