[Nut-upsuser] compaq r3000 triggering the fuse when power is reconnected

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Nov 6 09:44:23 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:

>> I have two of these r3000, both with almost exactly the same load
>> attached - each is about 2.2kVA.  The other box does not trigger the
>> fuse when power is reconnected.
>
> Nominal load depends on the amount of VA (or W) that a UPS sees. It
> makes no difference if this is one load drawing 2.2 kVA or ten each
> drawing 220 VA, the total load will be the same.

Sure, I understand that - these two actually have virtually identical
2.2kW loads, except UPS#2 has one extra PC hooked up too.

> Surge (inrush) current is something different. Usually, PC/server
> power supplies will peak around 20..50 A (each), with essentially no
> dependency on the actual load.

20-50A startup surges??

> Adding just a single additional one may tip the scale. When it comes
> to tripping fuses, you may be fine if you stay just below a certain
> limit and will only notice a problem if you (just) exceed it.

In my case, UPS#1 has the lowest load and is the one that trips the fuse
(16A electronic) - UPS#2 has the extra PC (std desktop) and has no
problem with the fuse.

/Per Jessen, Zürich