[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite SMX1500XLRT2U through serial (upslog/CGI problem)

Roman Serbski mefystofel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 07:41:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Roman Serbski <mefystofel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Definitely seems like a permissions problem.
>>>
>>> It's been a while since I messed with USB on FreeBSD. What do the
>>> permissions look like on /dev/ugen*? What modifications did you make
>>> to /etc/devfs.rules?
>>
>> Thanks a lot Charles! I think I managed to get NUT working.
>>
>> NUT was built from ports with uucp owner by default. As soon as I
>> created separate user (nut), replaced uucp with nut in
>> /usr/ports/sysutils/nut/Makefile, adjusted devfs.conf and devfs.rules
>> accordingly and rebuilt the port I immediately got NUT working!
>
> Would you mind posting the relevant portions of devfs.conf and
> devfs.rules? (Some day, we would like to have complete NUT+FreeBSD
> documentation available.)

Sure!

%cat /etc/devfs.conf
perm    usb3    0660
own     usb3    root:nut

%cat /etc/devfs.rules
[nut_usb=10]
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group nut

%cat /etc/rc.conf
devfs_system_ruleset="nut_usb"

NUT port was compiled with NUT_USER=nut option.

>> There are couple of small issues though:
>>
>> 1. /var/log/ups.log doesn't contain any numbers but only NA, although
>> I can see that it's being updated regularly and 'upsc
>> tripplite at localhost' gives a lot of data:
>
> You may need to configure something that is specific to the ports
> collection - what starts upslog? Does it refer to tripplite at localhost?

Sorry, it was resolved. My fault, I have to read docs more thoroughly.
The following option should be added to /etc/rc.conf to enable proper
logging to ups.log:

nut_upslog_ups="tripplite at localhost"

where "tripplite at localhost" is the name/host you define in upsmon.conf.

>> battery.charge: 90
>> battery.voltage: 40.50
>> battery.voltage.nominal: 36
>> driver.name: tripplite_usb
>> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
>> driver.parameter.port: /dev/usb3
>> driver.version: 2.2.2
>> driver.version.internal: 0.11
>> input.frequency: 50.0
>> input.frequency.nominal: 50
>> input.voltage: 256
>> input.voltage.maximum: 140
>> input.voltage.minimum:   0
>> input.voltage.nominal: 230
>> outlet.1.desc: Load 1
>> outlet.1.id: 1
>> outlet.1.switch: 1
>> outlet.1.switchable: 1
>> outlet.2.desc: Load 2
>> outlet.2.id: 2
>> outlet.2.switch: 1
>> outlet.2.switchable: 1
>> outlet.3.desc: Load 3
>> outlet.3.id: 3
>> outlet.3.switch: 1
>> outlet.3.switchable: 1
>> outlet.4.desc: Load 4
>> outlet.4.id: 4
>> outlet.4.switchable: 0
>> ups.debug.D: 38 36 38 37 0d 00 00 '8687...'
>> ups.debug.load_banks: 3
>> ups.debug.M: 30 30 38 43 0d 00 00 '008C...'
>> ups.debug.S: 31 34 30 00 5a 31 0d '140.Z1.'
>> ups.debug.T: 37 32 31 46 34 30 0d '721F40.'
>> ups.debug.V: 32 30 36 33 58 58 0d '2063XX.'
>> ups.delay.shutdown: 64
>> ups.firmware: F1091.A
>> ups.firmware.aux: protocol 3003
>> ups.id: 65535
>> ups.load: 36
>> ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
>> ups.model: SMX1500XLRT2U
>> ups.power.nominal: 1500
>> ups.status: OL
>> ups.temperature: 20.5
>>
>> %tail /var/log/ups.log
>> 20081001 170732 NA NA NA [NA] NA NA
>> 20081001 171232 NA NA NA [NA] NA NA
>> 20081001 171732 NA NA NA [NA] NA NA
>>
>> 2. I also enabled cgi scripts to show the status of UPS and it works
>> well. The only thing is that it shows "Not supported" for Output
>> column. Is it somehow related to ups.debug messages I receive from
>> upsc or my UPS simply doesn't support this?
>
> I wouldn't say that your UPS doesn't support it - we may just not know
> the right variable to read. Does the Windows GUI show an output
> voltage?

It looks like it doesn't. I actually don't see output voltage in the
Windows GUI either. But I think this is a minor thing - what is
important is that now I'm able to do graceful shutdown with NUT in
case of power outage!

Many thanks Charles!