[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups works, upsc doesn't - help?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 22:42:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Dave <dave at reddave.com> wrote:
> Hi, Folks,
>
> I'm new to this admin game, and one of the hardest parts for me is
> figuring out where files/programs/data are stored in the file system.
> I think this is one of these situations.
>
> I've installed NUT on my Mac OS X 10.5 server, using the macports
> build. The machine is a dual processor G4 tower, connected to an APC
> UPS via USB.

What version of NUT? (The macports project is separate from the main
NUT project)

> usbhid-ups seems to be working, see output below. However, when I run
>  /opt/local/bin/upsc apcups at localhost
> All I get is an error message: Error: Data stale
>
> When I run upslog, it seems to clearly not be finding the data that
> usbhid-ups is getting:
>
> $ sudo  /opt/local/bin/upslog -s apcups -l-
> Network UPS Tools upslog 2.2.2
> logging status of apcups to - (30s intervals)
> 20081016 103242 NA NA NA [NA] NA NA
>
> So, my questions is this: Where does the status data get stored? It is
> being polled regularly once I run "sudo /opt/local/bin/upsdrvctl
> start", but then it can't be found.
>
> Does anyone have any idea about this? I'm been looking into this very
> carefully, but I'm at a wall here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave
>
> ----
> Data/Details below:
>

>  My ups.conf looks like this:
>
> [apcups]
>         driver = usbhid-ups
>         port = auto
>
> My upsd.conf looks like this:
>
> ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
>
> ACCEPT localhost
> REJECT all
>
> When I run:
>  sudo /opt/local/bin/usbhid-ups -a apcups -DD
> I get what looks to be success:
>
> Checking device (051D/0002) (001/002-051d-0002-00-00)
> - VendorID: 051d
> - ProductID: 0002
> - Manufacturer: American Power Conversion
> - Product: Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD FW:836.H7 .D USB FW:H7
> - Serial Number: 8B0749R24222
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> failed to claim USB device...

If this device shows up in the Power Management section of System
Preferences, there might be some conflicts between that and NUT.

> HID descriptor length 1079
> Report Descriptor size = 1079
> Using subdriver: APC HID 0.92
>
> .
> . [excess data skipped]
> .
>
> Quick update...
> Offset: 16, Size: 8, Value: 8.000000
> upsdrv_updateinfo...
> Got -22 HID objects...

Hmm, this doesn't look good. The number of HID objects should be positive.

Does anything else get printed after this?

--
- Charles Lepple