[Nut-upsuser] Megatec_USB on OpenBSD 4.3 - again...

Henning Brauer hb-nut at bsws.de
Thu Oct 30 16:25:05 UTC 2008

* Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> [2008-10-28 17:19]:
> Citeren ng-sup01 at mclink.it:
>
> >  Thanks to the precious help from Henning Brauer, I managed to solve
> > an issue with my UPS (a rebranded UPS speaking in Ablerex-ese over USB).
> > Under OpenBSD 4.3, the UPS was claimed by HID.
>
> Wait a minute, if OpenBSD claimed this device, chances are that it was
> providing a USB to serial port also.

no, it was claimed by uhid(4).

> Usually these are called something like /dev/ttyUSB0 in Linux, I
> don't know what OpenBSD does with it.

would be /dev/ttyU0 etc, but as said, irrelevant, it doesn't show up
as ucom(4).

> The megatec_usb driver attempts to provide the bare functionality that
> is required for a USB to serial converter (when not supported by the
> kernel) and then uses the megatec driver core to speak to it. But if
> the first is already supported by the kernel (if it claims it, chances
> are that it is) there is no need for that.

most USB devices show up as HIDs (which is stupid) and thus are claimed
by uhid(4) and thus useless, unless quirks prevent them from attaching
as uhid.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting - Hamburg & Amsterdam