[Nut-upsuser] Some issues with UPS Forza SL-1001

Néstor Peña nestor at epca.com.ve
Thu Sep 4 04:28:00 UTC 2008

	Hi to everybody.  Some days ago, I bought an UPS by Forza Power Technologies,
model SL-1001.  This Forza SL-1001 is line-interactive, has 14,4 A/h charge
and is rated at 1000VA.  Before, I had a TrippLite Omni 500 (or something
like that), a simple contact-closure UPS, and I used nut with the simple
genericupsdriver, so I'm new with this type of UPSs.

	NUT doesn't list Forza as a supported UPS so I first tried to use
the "marvelous software" inside, the infamous WinPower.  As their name
states, only works well in Windows, because in Linux it only recognizes
RS232-based UPS, but this SL-1001 is detected as a HID device.

	Google brings me to this mail list and I tested using the megatec_usb driver,
following recomendations from a mail here.  The driver works perfectly -
almost.  I have some problems with it.  I hope you can help me or enlight me
to cure, at least.

*	First: the megatec_usb driver takes sooo long to detect the UPS - almost 70
seconds to say "yes, this UPS talks megatec_usb protocol", so I needed to
raise the maxstartdelay to 80.  It's possible to reduce this time?

*	Second: variables detected.  Look at the listing:

battery.charge: 87.5
                ^^^^

	Nut states battery is at 87,5% but Winpower says 100%.  In fact, with nut,
the battery doesn't charge above 95%.  Using megatec_ups -DDDDDD gave me this
voltage ranges: 13,7V-9,7V, and the maximum battery voltage I ever seen is
13,5V.  Is WinPower using relaxed values? Is the UPS needing a battery
recalibrate? I just unpacked and connect it...

battery.voltage: 13.20
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
driver.name: megatec_usb
driver.parameter.mfr: Forza
                      ^^^^^^
driver.parameter.model: SL-1001
                        ^^^^^^^
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 1
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.productid: 5161
                            ^^^^
driver.parameter.vendorid: 0665
                           ^^^^

	This values are really forced in the ups.conf file.

driver.version: 2.2.2
driver.version.internal: 1.5.14
input.frequency: 59.9
input.frequency.nominal: 60.0
input.voltage: 114.4
input.voltage.fault: 114.4
input.voltage.maximum: 115.5
input.voltage.minimum: 114.4
input.voltage.nominal: 120.0
output.voltage: 114.6
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 0
ups.delay.start: 2
ups.load: 27.0
ups.mfr: Forza
ups.model: SL-1001
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 25.0
ups.type: standby
          ^^^^^^^

	According with this, this UPS is standby type, so it's incorrect (check
http://www.forzaups.com/product_detail.aspx?PrdId=27#technical)

*	And the third and last: if I send a upscmd ups-parallax test.battery.start,
the upsd loss communications with the megatec_usb driver, and only restore
communication when the battery test ends.  Why?

	Thanks in advance.

--
	Néstor Peña
	EPCA Sistemas, C.A.