[Nut-upsuser] Conditionnal shutdown

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Sep 16 05:49:04 UTC 2008

Citeren "Emmanuel Lesouef" <e.lesouef at crbn.fr>:

> My question is : is it possible to make nut aware of the percentage (or
> duration) of time before the UPS exhausts its power ? Thus making Nut
> conditionning the shutdown of the servers depending on the remaining
> load.

These are options that some (usually higher end) UPSes have. NUT
itself will only support changing the values that set these levels in
the UPS, but it will not initiate shutdown at a certain battery level.

Both these features require accurate monitoring of the actual battery
charge and the load that is supplied by the UPS. Devices that do this
both, invariably will already support shutting down when a
(configurable) critical battery level or time remaining has been
reached.

If yours doesn't, it almost certainly will have an entirely battery
voltage based charge calculation, which is *not* accurate enough to
give a reasonable estimate on the runtime remaining to make this
possible. In that case, you'd risk that your UPS suddenly stops
because the battery is empty.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands