[Nut-upsuser] Can't claim USB device

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:33:40 UTC 2009

2009/4/8 Brandon Metcalf <brandon at geronimoalloys.com>

> ----- Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/4/7 Brandon Metcalf <brandon at geronimoalloys.com>
> > >  $ debuild -us -uc
> > >  dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>= 6.0.7~)
> > > autoconf automake libtool libgd2-xpm-dev |   libgd2-noxpm-dev
> libsnmp-dev |
> > > libsnmp9-dev libusb-dev (>= 0.1.8) libhal-dev (>= 0.5.8) libdbus-1-dev
> > > libdbus-glib-1-dev libglib2.0-dev libneon27-gnutls-dev |
> > > libneon26-gnutls-dev | libneon-dev | libneon27-dev | libneon26-dev
> > > libwrap0-dev (>= 7.6) dpatch
> > >  debuild: fatal error at line 993:
> > >  You do not appear to have all build dependencies properly met,
> aborting.
> > >  (Use -d flag to override.)
> > >
> > > Based on this, can you give me some help on what to do?  I'm still a
> little
> > > unclear.
> > >

> > still the same as my above explanation (modify control and rules)
> > I've missed the nut-xml package that can be removed with the neon deps.
> > now it's up to you to remove the deps you don't need with all the
> > explanation given...
>
> Thanks for your help.  I'm all set, I think.  I have usbhid-ups, upsd, and
> upsmon running and reporting OK.
>
> One final question.  Are the defaults in /etc/init.d/nut fine?
>  Specifically, the poweroff section?  I see that there isn't an
> /etc/default/nut with POWEROFF_WAIT defined.  Is this OK?

since you're running 2.4.1, default/nut is gone and is replaced by the
distro agnostic /etc/nut/nut.conf
put "standalone" here and you're done. or simply updating an installing with
default will guess it for you ;-)
as explained in /usr/share/doc/nut/README.Debian.gz

now the POWEROFF_WAIT is the only remainder that isn't integrated into
nut.conf.
I'm still hesitating about that (for the reasons stated at the same place),
but if you feel you really need it, edit init.d/nut and add it here... there
is nothing about poweroff else apart from that.
you should still have a /etc/default/nut.dpkg-old sitting around.

cheers,
-- Arno