[Nut-upsuser] Cannot get Tripplite su2200xla working on freebsd 7.1 nut 2.4.1

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Aug 12 05:17:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Thomas Munn wrote:

> I am having a devil of a time getting nut to work on freebsd. Here is
> what I have done. I am trying to load the drivers, and here is my
> ups.conf file:
>
> [tripplite]
>  driver=trippliteesu
>  port=auto
>
> When I dmesg on freebsd 7.1 for my usb device:
>
> uhid0: <Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2>
> on uhub0

I would bet the problem is that uhid is picking it up and the NUT driver
uses libusb which requires ugen to attach to it (except in 8.0 where
libusb is part of base and can attach to any device).

A quick test would be to not load uhid and plug the UPS in, you should
then see ugen grab it. After that NUT should work (you will need to
chown the device node for it though as NUT runs as non-root by
default).

If that does work then do a send-pr with your usbdevs -v output and ask
for the UPS to be blacklisted from uhid.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum