[Nut-upsuser] MGE Evolution mge-utalk Driver Not Connected error

Phil Harrison philhar88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 06:38:10 UTC 2009

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had to wait for a moment to take the UPS
offline to test your suggestion. I shut down attached system, turned
off the UPS and unplugged mains power for 5-10 seconds. I think
replugged mains power, turned on the UPS and all attached equiptment
started turning on.

sudo /lib/nut/mge-shut -DDD -a ups1

gives me same as before.

using mge-utalk same as before as well.

Is there anyway I can test whether the problem is to do with the USB
to serial adaptor? according to dmesg it should be working correctly.

[    0.010000] console [tty0] enabled
[    9.241586] usb 8-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Thanks,

Phil

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Arnaud Quette<aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/8/3 Phil Harrison <philhar88 at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi Arnaud,
>
> Hi Phil,
>

>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> when using mge-shut:
>>
>> $ sudo /lib/nut/mge-shut -DDD -a ups1
>> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.68 (2.4.1)
>> debug level is '3'
>> entering upsdrv_initups()
>> entering setline(1)
>>
>> entering shut_ups_start()
>>
>> sent: (1 bytes) => 16
>> sent: (1 bytes) => 16
>> sent: (1 bytes) => 16
>> sent: (1 bytes) => 16
>> No communication with UPS
>>
>> And when using usbhid-ups:
>>
>> Trying to match device
>> Device does not match - skipping
>> No appropriate HID device found
>> No matching HID UPS found
>
> try to force it by launching mge-shut several (2-3) times.
> it's very possible that the mge-utalk tries have somehow stuck the
> communication module.
> if that doesn't work, try to hard reset the device (power it off, unplug the
> power cord, wait 10 sec, and plug / power back...)
>
> cheers,
> Arnaud
> --
> Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
> Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
> Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/
>

>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:40 AM, Arnaud Quette<aquette.dev at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Phil,

>> > I really need to update the compat list: older Evolution units, at MGE
>> > UPS
>> > SYTEMS time, where called Pulsar Evolution and where compatible with
>> > both
>> > SHUT and the venerable UTalk.
>> > Nowadays (MGE Office Protection Systems and now Eaton), these are called
>> > Evolution and are SHUT only.
>> >
>> > so, go the mge-shut or ubshid-ups way.
>> >
>> > cheers,
>> > Arnaud