[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:07:06 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 30 December 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>:
>> 2.4.1 now installed, using default ./configure
>> I had to make a bunch of directories & move all the .conf files cuz the
>> config path seems scrambled, its /usr/local/ups/etc, s/b
>> /usr/local/etc/ups IMO.  Bug?
>
>No, you didn't read the INSTALL file. These are the build in defaults
>if you don't tell configure where it should install things.

Ya mean its not the usual boilerplate? ;)  IMO the defaults should at least
be sane.

>> The above line still fails, but a different failure, a snip from the end
>> of its output when the above line is executed from the drivers src dir:
>> -------------------------
>> Checking device (050D/0751) (001/005)
>> - VendorID: 050d
>> - ProductID: 0751
>> - Manufacturer: unknown
>> - Product: unknown
>> - Serial Number: unknown
>> - Bus: 001
>> Trying to match device
>> Device matches
>> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
>> permitted
>> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
>> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
>> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
>> permitted
>> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
>> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
>> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
>> permitted
>> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
>> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
>> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
>> permitted
>> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
>> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
>> Can't claim USB device [050d:0751]: could not detach kernel driver from
>> interface 0: Operation not permitted
>> [root at coyote drivers]#
>> ---------------------------
>
>Most likely, the same problem as above. Either the  files required for
>hotplugging are not installed or they have other user and group
>settings.
>
>> And indeed, ttyUSB0 is owned by heyu on this box. ;-)
>
>The usbhid-ups driver doesn't use ttyUSB0, so I fail to see why you
>bring this up.

Because nothing that might be germane should be left out, you are the expert
on 'germane' ;)

>> This error is identical regardless of the user launching it, root
>> included.
>
>The driver should *always* be launched by root, regardless of the
>configure settings. You could try to work around the permissions
>problems temporarily by adding the '-u root' flag to the startup
>command line, so that the driver doesn't drop privileges to whatever
>user it is configured to use.

And if I don't, its no permissions on /var/state/ups, with, the rebuilt,
reinstalled version works about 10% of the time, the rest of the time the
device doesn't match.  /var/state/ups is 0770 and owned by root:nut as the
INSTALL says.  All user:group settings are now according to that file.

>I do believe however, that you'd better search for a pre-compiled RPM
>version from Fedora instead. This would save you all the hassle of
>finding out which configure options you need (this can be dozens).

The fedora is too old, the 2.2.2 I nuked was the newest available.

>Best regards, Arjen

Thanks Arjen.  I've reconfigured & reinstalled.  A 1 minute log capture is
attached again. Oddity was I had to use the > file 2>&1 syntax, and I had to
launch it as -a root.  But the install is still placing stuff in odd places.
This is getting old, so I'll rebuild again, specifying --PREFIX=/usr this
time.  Finding the binaries installed in a directory that it appears I can
only get in the exec $PATH by rebooting is a PIMA.  This _isn't_ windows!

Thanks Arjen.  Back after I do that, promise.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Revolution, n.: