[Nut-upsuser] Logging using upslog problem

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Fri Jan 30 21:56:13 UTC 2009

Citeren Anna Hopkins <molto.libri at gmail.com>:

> I upgraded from V2.2 to V2.4.  I use the "upslog" command to log the
> values of my belkin ups (belkinunv via serial port).  It would
> occasionally start to record garbage, but it would always go back to
> normal in V2.2 if I restarted.  In V2.4 it would not record the values,
> and the process would fail after the next interval had passed.  I had
> set if for 300 seconds.
>
> I walked through the "upslog" options (I use all the options) and I
> found out that by eliminating the "-i" interval option it works
> perfect.  I also tried changing the "-i" version to 150 seconds, but it
> doesn't work.  Is there something I'm missing.  Right now, I am letting
> the logger work using the default, but every 30 seconds seems like too
> much information.
>
> Is there something I am missing?

No, this is due to new behaviour of the 'upsd' server. It will
disconnect clients after not hearing from them for more than 60
seconds in order to prevent that clients that don't cleanup after
themselves from keeping connections open.

What you're seeing, is due to the fact that upslog will open a
connection to the server only once. If it fails, it will reconnect,
but not read the data immediately afterwards. So the next time when it
visits the server, it will again have timed out and the process starts
all over again and it will never read anything useful anymore.

The solution to this would be to connect, read the data and
disconnect. Clients should not keep connections open if they don't
intend to use them within the next 60 seconds.

Please keep list traffic on the list