[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite OMNIVIS1500XL Connection Refused

Leslie Rhorer lrhorer at satx.rr.com
Wed May 13 16:15:55 UTC 2009

> I think what you are seeing is an consequence of the fact (as I now
understand it)
> that the good folks who wrote tripplite_usb  had to make it up as they
went along.

Yeah, that's right.

> They didn't have technical specifications from Tripplite so they had to
cleverly
> interpret (aka guess) at the correct output;

Well, not quite.  From a comparison of your data with mine, it's clear the
raw data from the units requires either an offset value or a correction
factor, or both, in order to obtain the actual voltages present on the
input, output, and DC bus.  Prior to you kind response, I was unsure whether
I simply had a unit which was producing errored raw data, but your unit's
data pretty much confirms it is a systemic issue, not an issue with an
individual unit.  In lieu of documentation from Tripplite, of course, the
developers had liitle recourse other than to assume the raw data did not
require correction factors, especially since I do not believe they had a
unit in hand.

> If I'd known how poorly Tripplite supports the nut project I would not
have bought
> a Tripplite UPS.
> I won't buy another one.

OK.  We might drop them a note.  It's possible it could induce them to
release their specs to the developers.

> Here is my upsc output
> battery.charge: 100
> battery.voltage: 14.50
> battery.voltage.nominal: 24

> input.voltage: 108.87
> input.voltage.nominal: 120
> output.voltage: 114.0

Clearly, the correction factor and / or offset cannot be the same for the DC
voltages as for the AC voltages.  I no longer have a variac, and I looked
into getting one on ebay, but they are more expensive than I can afford to
put into this effort at the moment.  I may be able to do some battery
testing, however, by simply running a discharge cycle and plotting the
points one for one.  I may be able to rig something to vary  the input
voltage, as well.