[Nut-upsuser] New NUT user with HP R3000XR problem

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed May 27 21:10:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 08:56:13PM +0200, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Brother Railgun of Reason <alaric at caerllewys.net>:
>
>> babylon4:root:/opt/nut:24 start
>> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
>> Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.21 (2.4.1)
>> RS-232 communication subdriver 0.17
>> Connected to UPS on /dev/tty00 with baudrate 19200
>
> OK, the driver is running, so this is not the problem.
>
>> babylon4:root:/opt/nut:25 # sbin/upsd
>> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.1
>> listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
>> listening on ::1 port 3493
>> /opt/nut/var is world readable
>> Connected to UPS [tokamak]: bcmxcp-tokamak
>> Maximum number of connections limited to 256 [requested 1024]
>
> Weird, apparently your system has a limited number of file descriptors
> available. I have a feeling that this is not a standard operating system.

I was a little puzzled by that myself.  It's Solaris 10 x86 running on a
pretty substantial box, it shouldn't be an OS limitation.

>> babylon4:root:/opt/nut:26 # bin/upsc tokamak at localhost
>> Error: Connection failure: Connection refused
>
> For whatever reason, you can't connect to localhost. I've never seen this
> before. The only thing I can imagine now is that some kind of policy exists
> that doesn't allow you connect through localhost because this is OS is
> running as a guest on top of another system.

Nope, this is not a client OS or vhost.  This is the global zone of a
Solaris 10 machine, and as you can see, the above was running as root.

BTW, upsd.conf is default with everything commented out, which should
result in listening on everything:

# This defaults to the global IPv4 listening address and port 3493. You
# may specify each interface you want upsd to listen on for connections,
# optionally with a port number.

Despite the above statement, this *actually* results in upsd defaulting
to listening only on loopback.   I just tried explicitly adding the
machine's external IP as well:

LISTEN 127.0.0.1 3493
LISTEN 10.24.32.14 3493

babylon4:root:/opt/nut:42 # sbin/upsd -DDD
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.1
listen_add: added 127.0.0.1:3493
listen_add: added 10.24.32.14:3493
setuptcp: try to bind to 10.24.32.14 port 3493
listening on 10.24.32.14 port 3493
setuptcp: try to bind to 127.0.0.1 port 3493
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
Connected to UPS [tokamak]: bcmxcp-tokamak
Maximum number of connections limited to 256 [requested 1024]

and then telnetting to port 3493, still from localhost, and I still
couldn't connect to port 3493.  So, being a nasty suspicious sort, I
checked lsof ...  nothing's got port 3493 open.  checked the process
table ... upsd isn't running.  It appears to start up, then immediately
die.

Could this be because something is limiting it to 256 connections?
(Not that I'm ever going to need even a tenth of that....  16
connections would be more than I'm ever going to need to use.)

I'm wondering whether I should go tweak the source to request only 256
connections (or even 128) and see if upsd still dies on startup.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.