[Nut-upsuser] Can anyone give me some ideas?

Nick Warr nick at mobilia.it
Mon Nov 16 08:01:17 UTC 2009

Charles Lepple ha scritto:
> On Nov 6, 2009, at 9:08 AM, nick wrote:
>
>> I've got a big UPS from an italian manufacturer MSC elettronica which
>> should be megatec protocol based. They distribute it with
>> Upsilon2000, developed by Megatec, and with a cable listed on the
>> megatec site:
>
> Which cable? M2502, M2505, or something else?
M2505

>> http://www.megatec.com.tw/FAQ.htm
>>
>> How do I know the M2505 cable is the one that should be used on my
>> UPS instead of M2502 cable?
>>
>> UPS that use both these cables are TRUE RS232 UPS with MegaTec
>> protocol.  The difference is:
>>
>> UPS communicate with computer on pin 6.7.9 ---> M2502 cable
>> UPS communicate with computer on pin 2.3.5 ---> M2505 cable
>
> There is only one pair of data pins for a PC RS-232 port, so I assume
> that the above pin assignments refer to the UPS side of the cable.
> Does your UPS have any documentation saying which pins are TX and RX?

Yes, after some more deep googling, I was able to find the pinouts of
the M2502 cable, and it went 2.3.5. to 6.7.9 on the PC side.

We tested the M2505 cable with a multimeter, and found that the pins
more or less went straight through, 1 to 1, 6 to 6, etc.

>> UPS listed below are the ones who uses M2505 cable:
>>
>> Delta: GES-N
>> Chroma: 91 Series
>> Phoenixtec: C Series
>>

>> So, as far as I can tell, it should be using the megatec driver, but
>> I'm not sure if there's something I need to change or specify to let
>> it know  that the signaling pins are 2.3.5, or if in fact there's
>> another better adapted driver in this case?
>>
>> I also have a dumb port that I can fall back on, but I'd prefer a bit
>> more information if at all possible.
>>
>> I'm using CentOS 5.0, with nut 2.2.0, and ttyS0 is the only serial
>> port I have available on the machine.
>>
>> setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
>> /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>>
>> The cable is good and no one is using the serial port (at least I
>> never receive any indication of this).
>
> What are you using to test the cable?
Apart from the multimeter, the software that they provided, for some
reason their installer requires me to use a VT102 terminal to see it
properly, and when I was able to understand that, I was able to
communicate with the UPS..

>> Can anyone give me an idea of where to look or try next?
>
> How is the driver failing?

It says there's no Megatec protocol UPS on that port more or less.