[Nut-upsuser] Battery test feature of APC Back-UPS RS series

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sat Oct 10 12:46:50 UTC 2009

Hi Arjen,

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:53:58 +0200, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org>:
>
> > Arnaud, Arjen, anything else I can do to help? The USB sniffer I'm
> > using is a shareware and I have only 11 days of use left. If you need
> > more captures, or different decoding, or any additional data, please
> > let me know quickly.
> >
> > Would it be difficult to implement what Charles described above and
> > test it?
>
> What Charles suggested, is *very* difficult to implement. In the
> usbhid-ups driver, NUT commands have a one-to-one mapping to HID
> reports. I'm currently lacking the time to code this.

Oh well, too bad.

> You could try the latest version from the trunk, where I mapped the
> existing commands for other APC devices to the HID path yours seems to
> be using. Although this doesn't follow the output from usbsnoop, it
> might just happen to work (YMMV).

I'm testing it now. The new driver indeed shows new commands:

test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test

But upscmd fails with:

# upscmd rs800 -u admin test.battery.start.quick
Error: old command names are not supported

I am running the usbhid-ups driver from SVN and upscmd from SVN too,
but upsd and upsmon are from 2.4.1. Do I also have to upgrade either or
both of upsd and upsmon to SVN as well?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare