[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite SmartOnline 3U

Greg Terkanian gregt at crystalcomputer.com
Wed Apr 7 20:18:37 UTC 2010

From: Douglas Parsons [mailto:doug at parsonsemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:41 PM
To: Greg Terkanian
Cc: nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite SmartOnline 3U

Oops hit the button on my phone.

Another advantage to the converter is it can be moved to any brand the supports serial and there is a nut driver for.

Doug

On Apr 7, 2010 1:37 PM, "Douglas Parsons" <doug at parsonsemail.com<mailto:doug at parsonsemail.com>> wrote:

Greg,

Another option to look at is to use an ethernet to serial converter. Nut works fine with these set up as a virtual serial port on the guest.

Your unit appears to have serial support according to the web and for most of the cards I havd priced the converters are cheaper than the SNMP cards. As a plus the converter can be
On Apr 7, 2010 10:23 AM, "Greg Terkanian" <gregt at crystalcomputer.com<mailto:gregt at crystalcomputer.com>> wrote:

Citeren Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org<mailto:nut%2Busers at de-korte.org>>: > Somehow reading the report descriptor fails, eit...

> > Arjen, > Actually it does apply.  This is an Ubuntu machine on ESXi.  To get around the difficu...

Doug,

That was the theory I was going for when I implemented the current solution, however I would have preferred a USB/Ethernet device that supported Linux clients.  I couldn't find one.  Do you have a recommendation for your serial/Ethernet hardware for Linux clients?

Thanks,

Greg