[Nut-upsuser] Testing UPS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Jul 19 18:52:04 UTC 2010

Citeren durwin op mgtsciences.com:

> I have all working and the test shutdown using 'upsmon -c fsd' worked.
> Also I get appropriate messages on console when I pull power and restore.
> But I want to *see* it work by removing power, but I don't want to wait.

Why?

You still need to find out if the UPS has enough charge remaining for
shutting down your system(s) after reporting 'battery low'. The *only*
way to check this, is by removing the input power and wait what
happens. You'll probably want to do this during a service window, to
limit the damage if there is almost no time between reporting this and
the UPS auto protecting the battery for deep discharge by shutting
down itself.

You could try to simulate the load by something non-vital (like a
small space heater) and powering the system from another source.
Still, if this is an important thing to you, I'd suggest to use a live
system here and *create* your own power failure.

> How can I tell UPS to issue needed message after a minute on battery?

If this is possible in the first place, depends on the UPS. If the NUT
driver you're using supports this, is another thing. Post the output
of 'upsc upsname' here and we might be able to say something more
conclusive. The above still holds however, it still doesn't test a
clean shutdown for your systems.

Please keep list traffic on the list