[Nut-upsuser] How to shut down the running usbhid-ups driver and start with -DDD option?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Fri Nov 19 08:48:22 UTC 2010

Citeren Niels Kristian Jensen <nkj op internetgruppen.dk>:

> I tried this on my system, since I use the usbhid-ups:
>
> nkj op grisen:~$ ps ax | grep usbhid
>   238 ?        S      0:00 [usbhid_resumer]
>  1035 ?        Ss    37:14 /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a PingvinUPS
> 24223 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep usbhid
>

> I would not dare to use "kill" on neither the usbhid_resumer nor the
> usbhid-ups with the system running in a remote location.

The usbhid_resumer is not part of NUT and I don't know what happens if
you send it a kill signal. On the other hand, sending a kill signal to
usbhid-ups is not dangerous. This is the same what happens if you send
'upsdrvctl stop'. The upsdrvctl wrapper will attempt to find the
proper PID to send the signal to, but if you already know that,
sending it directly will have identical results.

> /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -h gives no clue about how to shut down, the
> "-k" option probably would shut down the UPS, not the driver.

Both. It would command the UPS to shutdown the load (possibly with a
delay) and then the driver process would terminate.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)