[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups did not claim interface 0 before use

Mark Ruys mark.ruys at in2sports.net
Fri Oct 22 09:04:23 UTC 2010

  Op 21-10-2010 9:58, Arnaud Quette schreef:
> Hi Mark,
>
> 2010/10/20 Mark Ruys
>
>      Op 19-10-2010 23:57, Arjen de Korte schreef:
>
>         Citeren Mark Ruys :
>
>             How to prevent these messages? Is something wrong
>             (probably). How to debug it.
>
>             Thanks,
>
>             Mark
>
>             CentOS 5.4
>             nut-2.2.0-7.el5
>             nut-client-2.2.0-7.el5
>

>         Upgrade NUT to the latest version first. Loads of changes have
>         been made to the usbhid-ups driver since nut-2.2.0 was
>         released well over three years ago. We no longer support this
>         version.
>
>         Best regards, Arjen
>

>     Okay, I upgraded to 2.4.3 and restarted nut. I still get:
>
>     Oct 20 11:33:16 alkmene kernel: usb 3-1: usbfs: process 16588
>
>     (usbhid-ups) did not claim interface 0 before use
>     Oct 20 11:33:48 alkmene last message repeated 43 times
>     Oct 20 11:34:50 alkmene last message repeated 85 times
>

> upgrading NUT is not enough: you also have to stop the old instances
> and start new ones that use the newly installed version.
> this remark comes from the fact the PID above (16588) is the same than
> the previous "faulty" one.

Ah, this is a very good observation of you! I did run a 'service ups
restart', but the usbhid-ups process wasn't killed. I had to manually
kill it. From now on, a restart of the ups service does restart the
usbhid-ups process as expected. Perhaps I should have issued a 'service
ups stop' before I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4 as I expect that the 2.2
/etc/init.d/ups would killed the usbhid-ups process.

Furthermore, the 'usbhid-ups did not claim interface 0 before use'
messages now have disappeared. So also Arjen's advice to upgrade was
useful :)

Thanks,
Mark

--
Oudenhof 14b, 4191 NW Geldermalsen, The Netherlands
Web site and travel directions:   www.in2sports.net