[Nut-upsuser] Richcomm Serial driver

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Apr 23 09:54:14 UTC 2011

Citeren Manzoor e Elahi <manzoor.e.elahi op gmail.com>:

>     I'm trying to configure my ups with nut which is a locally made one. It
> uses a rs232 port to talk to the computer and comes with a software called
> "Powermanager Lite" which is provided by Richcomm and supports Windows,
> Linux and UNIX. According to the manual it uses the Richcomm circuitry to
> talk to the computer and uses a drycontact protocol. Unfortunately I
> couldn't find any driver for Richcomm serial interface, there's a
> richcomm_usb however. I've tried all of the genericups drivers and the
> megatec driver even a USB to Serial converter cable (Prolific chipset) but
> no luck. Any suggestion about which driver to choose or what I'm doing
> wrong?

If it indeed uses a dry contact interface, it is supported by the
genericups driver. If not through one of the existing 'upstype'
settings, you should be able to override the 'CP', 'OL', 'LB' and/or
'SD' configuration directives to make it so. This is essentially what
the 'richcomm_usb' driver does for USB.

>     I'm using NUT on FreeNAS 0.7.2 which uses NUT 2.60. Below is the link to
> the Richcomm product product page.
>
> Powermanager lite:
> http://www.richcomm.com/en/productshow.php?ippt_product_id=65

This is not a description of a dry contact interface. If this is what
your UPS is using, it requires something different. Assuming the
people who designed this did not create a smart protocol using the
modem control lines (which would be insane, since using the TXD/RXD
lines would be much simpler instead), I would say this is a smart
protocol which is not supported through either genericups or
richcomm_usb.

The best advice we can give you is to first find out what protocol is
used by the UPS (possibly by snooping the serial port when running the
bundled software). Unless you have dozens of devices you have to use
and/or you hourly wages are close to zero, it is probably better to
ditch the UPS and buy something that is supported out of the box.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)