[Nut-upsuser] Richcomm Serial driver

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Apr 24 08:30:00 UTC 2011

Citeren Manzoor e Elahi <manzoor.e.elahi op gmail.com>:

> Thanks for your replay. Actually my UPS uses a lite version of that software
> and only reports mains on/off, ups on/off and ups connected/disconnected
> status. I also think the genericups driver should work and tried all the
> driver types without any luck. Unfortunately I can't afford to ditch the UPS
> right now. I'll try the serial sniffing technique or use a multimeter to
> find out what's happening through the serial port. I've some experience with
> those. Can you give me some idea what I should be looking for?

In case of contact closure devices, the easiest way to find this out
is by using a RS-232 breakout box. You would find these in the toolbox
of any engineer dealing with TTY consoles on mainframes a few decades
ago. See for an example

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout_box

I actually have the model that is depicted on this page. This will
indicate the status of the modem control lines by means of colored
LEDs, making it very easy to see what happens. You could probably also
do this with Portmon for Windows, by this requires more effort on your
side. See

If you can lay your hands on a RS-232 breakout box, the few bucks you
might need to pay for it are well worth it.

> One more question. Is it possible to use a USB to serial cable for a serial
> UPS with generic UPS driver? This combination works in Windows with the
> official software but what about NUT? Is any special configuration required
> for this?

This depends on whether or not your kernel supports this device. If it
is supported, usually a /dev/ttyUSBn (n = 0..15) port will be created
by the kernel. You then connect the genericups driver to this as if it
was a regular serial port.

Best regards, Arjen

PS  Please do not top-post on this list.
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)