[Nut-upsuser] cross-compiling nut

nut at johnea.net nut at johnea.net
Fri Aug 5 06:08:32 UTC 2011

On 08/04/2011 03:45 PM, Tilman Glotzner wrote:

> Hi
>
> Nowm it works
> a) As written, I added  nut as additional package to buildroot
> b)  I added the configfiles of to the rootfs.tar archive in outgoing/images
> c) as nut runs as user "nobdoy" I needed to give the usb devices/serial devices to which the UPSes are connected, rw permission for everybofy
> d) I then build the image for the board.
> e) upsdrcctl can be started using no special option. upsd needs to be started with option -4 as DNS resolution would not work otherwise  at least for my board (upsd is connectiing to localhost)
> f) using upsc, I can query the status of the connected upses
>
> Tilman

That's great Tilman!

It seems like a natural for a high reliability embedded system.

I know from the archlinux build here that you can specify the username and
group, that nut will run as, at configure time:

     --with-user=nut --with-group=nut

Then you would have to create the nut user (and group) and assign the
permissions to it.

This would keep you from having to give the user nobody access rights to the
hardware.

Building as part of buildroot makes it nicely integrated.

johnea