[Nut-upsuser] Unsupported UPS Orvaldi 520PL?

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 06:57:57 UTC 2011

Hello Arnaud

V Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:06:05 +0200
Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> napsáno:

> 2011/8/26 Milan Knížek <knizek.confy at gmail.com>
>
> > - Orvaldi uses some special serial cable with pins like shown here
> > [4], which is not described on NUT doc pages.
> >

> > [1] http://orvaldi.pl/index.php/pl/product_catalog/product_view/1/6
> > [2] http://en.orvaldi.com/index.php/en/article_constant/21
> > [3] http://openupsmart.sourceforge.net/
> > [4] http://www.orvaldi.com.pl/2/file/DB9_pod_UPSmart.zip
>

> as per link [4], this is a dry contact UPS.
> so you need to use genericups

Thanks for the hint, I tried to find the proper upstype as per
genericups man page and also define own CP, OL, LB, SD.

However, the ups.status (as provided by upsc while upsd was running) has
always remained the same and did not change on UPS status change (AC
on, AC fail), no matter what variants of CP & OL I tried.

So I got to a bit lower level debugging: I measured the pins on UPS'
RS232 with voltmeter (every pin against the ground pin as per [4]),
especially 4 <-> 2 for AC status, but never got any voltage.

I am no electrician: is it reasonable to expect that the UPS should
provide High/Low voltages on the appropriate pin pairs even without
having any cable power signal from the computer?

If so, I would conclude the serial communication is dead in this UPS.

Regards,
Milan
--
http://www.milan-knizek.net/
About linux and photography (Czech only)