[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite SMART1000LCD usbhid failed to claim USB device

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 13:58:33 UTC 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:05 AM, Rory Jaffe wrote:

> I used the package that Ubuntu 10.10 provides. Here's the package
> info:
>
> rory at ubuntunas:~$ apt-cache showpkg nut
> Package: nut
> Versions:
> 2.4.3-1ubuntu5 (/var/lib/apt/lists/
> us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_binary-
> amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)

Ah, I think I see the problem. We added the USB IDs for the (new)
SMART1000LCD to usbhid-ups after NUT 2.4.3 was released.

You should be able to get basic functionality by adding the following
two lines to the middle of /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules:

#  e.g. TrippLite Smart1000LCD  - usbhid-ups
ATTR{idVendor}=="09ae", ATTR{idProduct}=="2009", MODE="664",
GROUP="@RUN_AS_GROUP@"

Note that you will need to replace the @RUN_AS_GROUP@ with the actual
group that appears on the other lines in that file. It's probably
"nut" or "ups", but I haven't tried 10.10 yet.

The easiest way to get udev to reload this is to unplug the USB cable
of the UPS, and plug it back in.

It does appear that the reported battery voltage might be off by a
factor of 10. That should already be fixed in NUT 2.6.0 and later. The
"low battery" signal is generated internally by the UPS, and should
not be affected.

Feel free to post the output of "upsc" once the driver starts.

--
Charles Lepple