[Nut-upsuser] upsd crashes with a "broken pipe" error

Zach La Celle lacelle at roboticresearch.com
Mon Jan 10 19:05:58 UTC 2011

On 01/06/2011 08:06 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2011/1/5 Zach La Celle <lacelle at roboticresearch.com
> <mailto:lacelle at roboticresearch.com>>
>
>     On 01/04/2011 08:20 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>>     2011/1/4 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:clepple at gmail.com>>
>>
>>         On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Zach La Celle
>>         <lacelle at roboticresearch.com
>>         <mailto:lacelle at roboticresearch.com>> wrote:
>>         > On 12/29/2010 10:00 AM, Zach La Celle wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >> On 12/29/2010 08:34 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>>         >>>
>>         >>> On Dec 27, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Zach La Celle wrote:
>>         >>>
>>         >>>> I ran this in debug mode and captures the backtrace.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> root@*********:/etc/nut# upsd -D
>>         >>>> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.3
>>         >>>>  0.000000     listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
>>         >>>>  0.000354     Connected to UPS [rack1ups]: apcsmart-rack1ups
>>         >>>>  2.550554     User upsmon at 127.0.0.1
>>         <mailto:upsmon at 127.0.0.1> logged into UPS [rack1ups]
>>         >>>> *** glibc detected *** upsd: free(): invalid next size
>>         (fast):
>>         >>>> 0x00000000012c9870 ***
>>         >>>
>>         >>> Can you give us some background information about this
>>         system? What OS
>>         >>> and version, who built the package, etc.
>>
>>         Just to be sure, are you running the Ubuntu-provided package, or
>>         something from another package repository? Which version of
>>         Ubuntu?
>>
>>         Running valgrind might produce similarly opaque results
>>         without debug
>>         symbols (which you can enable if you build from source).
>>

>>     debug syms are available as separate debs.
>>     As an example, for Ubuntu, look here:
>>     https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DebuggingProgramCrash
>>
>>     then look for installing {nut,libupsclient}-dbgsym and others if
>>     needed otherwise...
>>
>>         That is a bit
>>         more involved, though (especially if you want to keep the
>>         installed
>>         files in the same place) so I'd try that after Arjen's
>>         suggestion with
>>         "-DDD".
>>

>>     seconded for a first run.
>>
>>     cheers,
>>     Arnaud
>>     --
>>     Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com
>>     Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader -
>>     http://www.networkupstools.org/
>>     Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
>>     Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/
>>
>     The only extra package I could find is the "dev" package.  I'm not
>     sure if that contains debugging symbols.
>
>     I'm running with the "-DDD" option now.  It hasn't crashed over
>     the weekend, so we'll see how long it takes to crash now.  I'm
>     getting source to try and rebuild it so that I can walk through in
>     GDB if necessary.
>

> have you looked at the pointer I've sent, *and* applied the various
> [...]
I'm having trouble finding the upsd source code, or maybe I just don't
understand how to run it properly.  The source I have for ubuntu/lucid
seems to either be for a different UPSD project, or to run very
differently than the version off of the Ubuntu repositories.  Can you
point me to the correct source for upsd?