[Nut-upsuser] upsd crashes with a "broken pipe" error

Zach La Celle lacelle at roboticresearch.com
Sun Jan 16 17:52:44 UTC 2011

On 01/11/2011 03:38 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi Zach,
>
> 2011/1/10 Zach La Celle <lacelle at roboticresearch.com
> <mailto:lacelle at roboticresearch.com>>
>
>     On 01/06/2011 08:06 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>>     2011/1/5 Zach La Celle <lacelle at roboticresearch.com
>>     <mailto:lacelle at roboticresearch.com>>
>>
>>         On 01/04/2011 08:20 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>>
>>>         2011/1/4 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com
>>>         <mailto:clepple at gmail.com>>
>>>
>>>             On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Zach La Celle
>>>             <lacelle at roboticresearch.com
>>>             <mailto:lacelle at roboticresearch.com>> wrote:
>>>             > On 12/29/2010 10:00 AM, Zach La Celle wrote:
>>>             >>
>>>             >> On 12/29/2010 08:34 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>>>             >>>
>>>             >>> On Dec 27, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Zach La Celle wrote:
>>>             >>>
>>>             >>>> I ran this in debug mode and captures the backtrace.
>>>             >>>>
>>>             >>>> root@*********:/etc/nut# upsd -D
>>>             >>>> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.3
>>>             >>>>  0.000000     listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
>>>             >>>>  0.000354     Connected to UPS [rack1ups]:
>>>             apcsmart-rack1ups
>>>             >>>>  2.550554     User upsmon at 127.0.0.1
>>>             <mailto:upsmon at 127.0.0.1> logged into UPS [rack1ups]
>>>             >>>> *** glibc detected *** upsd: free(): invalid next
>>>             size (fast):
>>>             >>>> 0x00000000012c9870 ***
>>>             >>>
>>>             >>> Can you give us some background information about
>>>             this system? What OS
>>>             >>> and version, who built the package, etc.
>>>
>>>             Just to be sure, are you running the Ubuntu-provided
>>>             package, or
>>>             something from another package repository? Which version
>>>             of Ubuntu?
>>>
>>>             Running valgrind might produce similarly opaque results
>>>             without debug
>>>             symbols (which you can enable if you build from source).
>>>

>>>         debug syms are available as separate debs.
>>>         As an example, for Ubuntu, look here:
>>>         https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DebuggingProgramCrash
>>>
>>>         then look for installing {nut,libupsclient}-dbgsym and
>>>         others if needed otherwise...
>>>
>>>             That is a bit
>>>             more involved, though (especially if you want to keep
>>>             the installed
>>>             files in the same place) so I'd try that after Arjen's
>>>             suggestion with
>>>             "-DDD".
>>>

>>>         seconded for a first run.
>>>
>>>         cheers,
>>>         Arnaud
>>>         --
>>>         Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com
>>>         Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader -
>>>         http://www.networkupstools.org/
>>>         Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
>>>         Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/
>>>
>>         The only extra package I could find is the "dev" package.
>>         I'm not sure if that contains debugging symbols.
>>
>>         I'm running with the "-DDD" option now.  It hasn't crashed
>>         over the weekend, so we'll see how long it takes to crash
> [...]
I now have the upsd source package installed and built for debug, but
when I run upsd I get errors connecting to my UPS.  I copied all of the
configuration files from my normal config directory (/etc/nut) into the
new directory (/usr/local/ups/etc/), but I get an "Error; cannot find
rack1ups; no such file or directory" or something along those lines.
I've tried to fix this myself but it just doesn't seem to be working.
Any idea?