[Nut-upsuser] Support of & amp; amp; amp; quot; shutdown.return& amp; amp; amp; quot; on a APC Back-UPS CS 500

Kevin bakdong at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:08:08 UTC 2011

Kevin <bakdong <at> gmail.com> writes:

> on 19/01/2011 15:31 Arjen de Korte wrote:
> > Please also post the output of 'upsc upsname' (see 'man 8 upsc') and
> > 'upscmd -l upsname' (see 'man 8 upscmd') for both devices, so that we
> > can see which commands are detected.

APC Smart-UPS 1000

# clients/upsc apc1500
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.mfr.date: 2007/07/07
battery.runtime: 5880
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.temperature: 31.5
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 27.4
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.4.1
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.93
driver.version.internal: 0.34
input.voltage: 224.6
output.voltage: 224.6
output.voltage.nominal: 230.0
ups.beeper.status: disabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.firmware: 652.13.I
ups.firmware.aux: 7.3
ups.load: 5.8
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
ups.mfr.date: 2007/07/07
ups.model: Smart-UPS 1000
ups.productid: 0002
ups.serial: AS0727233122
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: No test initiated
ups.timer.reboot: -1
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.vendorid: 051d

# ./clients/upscmd -l apc1500
Instant commands supported on UPS [apc1500]:

beeper.disable - Description unavailable
beeper.enable - Description unavailable
beeper.mute - Description unavailable
beeper.off - Description unavailable
beeper.on - Description unavailable
load.off - Description unavailable
load.off.delay - Description unavailable
load.on - Description unavailable
load.on.delay - Description unavailable
shutdown.reboot - Description unavailable
shutdown.return - Description unavailable
shutdown.stayoff - Description unavailable
shutdown.stop - Description unavailable
test.battery.start.deep - Description unavailable
test.battery.start.quick - Description unavailable
test.battery.stop - Description unavailable
test.panel.start - Description unavailable
test.panel.stop - Description unavailable

APC CS 500

# clients/upsc apc1500
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.date: 2010/09/19
battery.mfr.date: 2010/09/19
battery.runtime: 3877
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.temperature: 29.2
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 13.6
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
device.mfr: American Power Conversion
device.model: Back-UPS CS 500
device.serial: 4B1038P51197
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.6.0
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.95
driver.version.internal: 0.35
input.sensitivity: medium
input.voltage: 224.0
input.voltage.nominal: 230
output.voltage: 230.0
output.voltage.nominal: 230.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.firmware: 808.q10 .I
ups.firmware.aux: q10
ups.load: 0.0
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
ups.mfr.date: 2010/09/19
ups.model: Back-UPS CS 500
ups.productid: 0002
ups.serial: 4B1038P51197
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: No test initiated
ups.timer.reboot: 0
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.timer.start: 0
ups.vendorid: 051d

# ./clients/upscmd -l apc1500
Instant commands supported on UPS [apc1500]:

beeper.disable - Description unavailable
beeper.enable - Description unavailable
beeper.mute - Description unavailable
beeper.off - Description unavailable
beeper.on - Description unavailable
load.off - Description unavailable
load.off.delay - Description unavailable
load.on - Description unavailable
load.on.delay - Description unavailable
shutdown.reboot - Description unavailable
shutdown.return - Description unavailable
shutdown.stayoff - Description unavailable
shutdown.stop - Description unavailable
test.battery.start.deep - Description unavailable
test.battery.start.quick - Description unavailable
test.battery.stop - Description unavailable
test.panel.start - Description unavailable
test.panel.stop - Description unavailable

> > It may be a log easier to do the testing with the upscmd
> > 'shutdown.return' (Smart-UPS 1000) and 'shutdown.reboot' (CS-500)
> > while the upsd server is running. During testing, it allows you to run
> > an instance of upslog (see 'man 8 upslog') so that you'll be able to
> > see the 'ups.timer.*' variables counting down. I suspect that the
> > current mapping might be wrong.
> >
> > Also note that the (re)start delay set in the Smart-UPS 1000 is
> > presently set to 180 seconds, so you may have to wait a little longer
> > that expected for the output to be switched on after the power returns.
> >
> Thanks Arjen. I've spent a little more time on it today and can confirm
> that shutdown.reboot works as expected with the Smart-UPS 1000. (I only
> tested this by commenting out the shutdown.return code in the usbhid-ups
> driver) I will try with the upscmd command tomorrow.
>
> This matches and confirms the behaviour of the 2.4 versions.

On the Smart-UPS 1000, all the instant commands do more or less what you would
expect. Looking at the timers using "upsc apc1500" I now see that:

 shutdown.
   load.off/load.off.delay both set the shutdown timer to 90, shuts down
     after 90 seconds

   reboot sets the reboot timer to 90, sleeps after 90 seconds

   return immediately switches to battery for a moment, sets both shutdown
     and startup to 90 seconds, sleeps after 90 seconds

 test.panel and beeper commands also work as expected.

So you are right, it does seem to be working on this model. I don't know why I
didn't see this when I was testing originally. Also I don't understand why the
shutdown.return, which seems to be translated to "load.on.delay, load.off.delay"
is used in preference to the "shutdown.reboot" command.

> I haven't been able to get the CS 500 into sleep mode at all, apart from
> by using the old hidups driver that I modified to setvalue(0x86007c, 1)
> The 2.6 version shutdown.reboot definitely does not work - it doesn't
> seem to have any effect at all.

On the CS 500 the load.off switches it off immediately, the load.off delay,
shutdown.return and shutdown.stayoff all switch to battery, and set the shutdown
timer to 20 seconds and then shuts down after that time. (Never restarts) The
beeper commands work, as does the shutdown.stop (sets the shutdown timer to -1)

Regards,
Kevin.