[Nut-upsuser] Socomec UPS

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 23:17:47 UTC 2011

Hi Greg,

2011/11/4 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Greg Trounson <gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz>
> wrote:
> > These Socomec units have RS-232 connectors and claim to support JBUS.
> > On the nut compatibility page I only see one Socomec model listed and
> > it's a different one.  Incidentally, do the colours in the Driver column
> > on that page mean anything?  I don't see a legend anywhere.
>
> I thought there was a legend next to the filter section, which isn't
> showing up on my web browser either.

oh, right. thanks for bringing my attention on this.

red: protocol based on reverse engineering
> orange: based on fragments of publicly available protocol
> yellow: based on publicly available protocol
> blue: vendor provided protocol
> green: vendor provided protocol and hardware
>
> Arnaud: is someone working on this page?

/me.
since Seb (Volle) has resigned from Eaton, I'm alone on this point.
and since I've not much javascript knowledges, it's hard to debug...
for a reason I don't yet know, the legend is there, initially hidden, but
the nut_jquery.js script that shows it seems not loaded.
I'm working on it, but since I'll be tripping back from Orlando (UDS), I
won't probably be able to solve it before next week.

> > Does anyone know what if these are likely to work with nut?
>
> There are no references to JBUS in the driver code, so either the
> protocol is known under a different name, or it isn't likely to work.

I also missed that part in my answer:
JBus is a Modbus variant, used by industrial automation, through serial and
ethernet
I wanted to write a driver for long, but the lack of users need (and time)
got the final word.

that said, Eaton sells a JBus / Modbus network card:
http://download.mgeops.com/emb/htm/66102e.htm

Could you please elaborate on your exact needs Greg?

Not to say that support couldn't be added (especially if the protocol
> spec is publicly available),

and there is a library too (http://libmodbus.org) and a github repository
(for Charles ;-)

> but if you're looking to put something
> into production quickly, Arnaud has a point about Eaton and their
> support of NUT.

cheers,
Arnaud
--