[Nut-upsuser] libusb not recognized?

Andrew Min Chang laplacezhang at 126.com
Thu Nov 17 01:10:27 UTC 2011

At 2011-11-16 21:01:51,"Charles Lepple" <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 16, 2011, at 3:55 AM, Andrew Min Chang wrote:
>
>> Hi, Charles,
>>
>> libusb-0.1.12 did not work, too.
>>
>> Do you mean the testlibusb.c as attached? I compiled it by:
>> # cc -c testlibusb.c
>> # cc -o test testlibusb.o -lusb
>> Because there's gcc on my target board.
>> but ./test prints nothing. I looked into the source and fount that "usb_busses" is zero.
>>
>> I had a usb hardisk and a APC smart-ups connected to my board through usb. The hardisk was recognized and automatically mounted to system. While smart-ups was not recognized by Linux, but Linux knew that that was a usb device.
>>
>> I am not familar with usb drive. But I guess if libusb is correctly installed, testlibusb should list all usb device. So libusb was not correctly installed. However, gcc recognized the usb.h provided by libusb. That seemed strange to me.
>
>Yes, that's the one. Two issues:
>
>1) If testlibusb does not print anything when you run it, then NUT probably won't see any USB devices, either. Does your board have /dev/bus/usb or a similar usbdevfs mounted?
>
>2) Since testlibusb.c runs, you should be able to re-run the NUT configure script, and it should detect libusb-0.1.12. I am not sure if libusb-compat will get in the way, though.

Hi Charles,

Oh, you gave me inspiration. The Difference between my NUT and testlibusb is: NUT is compiled with cross enviroment, while testlibusb was builded directly on the target board. I wonder if that made different.

But still, NUT could not be configured even though testlibusb.c ran. Maybe my commands wrong?
# export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mnt/ARM_FS/lib/pkgconfig
# ./configure --with-usb --with-doc \
--host=arm-mv5sft-linux-gnueabi \
--prefix=/mnt/ARM_FS \
--with-usb-libs=-L/mnt/ARM_FS/lib \
--with-usb-includes=-I/mnt/ARM_FS/include

Accoding config.log, actually I found that libusb 0.1.12 was recognized (config.log attached).

About libusb-compat, isn't that a interface to make programs compatible with later linusb-1.0?
Because libusb-compat is not able to be configured when dectectting libusb-0.1, even the oldest ver 0.1.0. libusb-compat config.log is attached, too. You can see the error message "checking for LIBUSB_1_0... configure: error: Package requirements (libusb-1.0 >= 0.9.1) were not met".

Best Regards
Andrew Chang
2011-11-17