[Nut-upsuser] UPS MGE serial cable over network.

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:55:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm forwarding your mail to the NUT list, because of a lack of time,
and also since some others (Charles) already looked at this issue IIRC
(related to the development branch 'netport').

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com

Le 10 nov. 2011 08:21, "Management" <management at multikreatif.net> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Please forgive me by emailing this to you.  I am not sure you are the one who also program the “Personal  Solution_Pac” software. If you do, I have a question on it.
>  I have MGE (eaton) EllipseMax 1500. I want to monitor the UPS remotely. The device I use is a serial over IP .  The setting looks like this :
>
> UPS --> Standard MGE serial cable --> serial over IP --> internet --> PC running virtual com port & Personal Solution-Pac (windows xp)
>
> it can not work....
>
> Some test I tried :
> 1. UPS direct connect using serial cable (no serial over IP), it work on the same PC ( the PSP software can monitor it)
>
> 2. using the same serial over IP device, connect to a serial com on a router, I can remotely connect to the virtual com port and control the router ( on the same PC)
>
> 3. little experiment:
> --->  First, I connect the UPS directly to PC. Then I unplug the main power of the UPS to simulate electricity power is down. The PSP software start a warning that  power is down in every 1 minute. Now, I switch the connection of the UPS right away from PC to the serial over IP device ( that already standby).  Switch the PSP to use the virtual port.... now somehow, the PSP will still warning me about the power down for another 2 warning... then it stop...
>
> 4. the serial over IP device (embeded Linux ) and the virtual port software, they actually base on a open source  http://com0com.sourceforge.net/
>
> Any help on how PSP software works ? is there a way to test the serial port on UPS using hyperterminal ?
>
> Any help I will be very appreciate it
>
> Thank you for reading
> Handoko

You should contact Eaton software support.

Arno