[Nut-upsuser] 2.6.0 bcmxcp_usb recovery question

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 12:12:33 UTC 2011

2011/10/24 Rich Wrenn <rwrenn at ddn.com>:
> Greetings,

Hello Rich,

> The way that bcmxcp_usb reacts to and recovers from a USB cable unplug-plug
> appears to have changed significantly between 2.4.1 and 2.6.0.  While I can
> see some improvements, bcmxcp_usb 2.6.0 does not appear to handle a USB
> cable unplug-plug correctly.  Does anyone know if this has been fixed in
> subsequent releases?
>

> Here are the details.
>

> When the USB cable between my server and my PW5115 UPS is removed,
> bcmxcp_usb reports DATASTALE (as it should) and continues to respond to PING
> (as it should).  When the USB cable is reattached, bcmxcp_usb continues to
> report DATASTALE in response to DUMPALL even though lsusb indicates that the
> PW5115 is indeed connected and DATAOK is never reported in response to
> DUMPALL.  If I restart the bcmxcp_usb driver with upsdrvctl then it recovers
> the connection to the UPS.
>

> The bcmxcp_usb 2.4.1 would not respond to even a PING while the USB cable to
> the UPS was disconnected, but when the USB cable was reconnected then it
> would begin responding again without the need to restart bcmxcp_usb.  I am
> not suggesting that the driver be rolled back to this behavior, but I do
> need the ability to recover from a USB cable pull without restarting the
> driver.

just to acknowledge that we're working on a decent fix.
Ie, declare staleness upon USB cable disconnection, and successfully
reconnect to the device once the USB cable is plugged back.

I already have something underhand, but it requires more testing.
If you're interested in an interim patch, just to have the correct
behavior and be able to go on your testing, just tell me back.

Brg,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com