[Nut-upsuser] APC SmartUPS 3000VA LCD not connecting

George Ross gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 08:23:29 UTC 2012

> We recently had to replace an old APC SmartUPS 3000 with a newer 3000VA
> (the 2U one).  It has both serial and USB in the back (with an RJ-45 on
> the end of the serial cable).
>
> I can't get the apcsmart driver to connect.  I figured it should work
> the exact same as the old UPS, with /dev/ttyS0 as the port (I'm using
> the same port on the server that the last one was plugged into).  I even
> tried the USB driver (usbhid-ups) using the port=auto, but it complained
> about unsupported UPS.

One thing to watch out for with APC and USB is that it was the case with
their earlier units that once you had connected them up using USB the only
way you could get them to go back to serial was to power them down
completely.  They may have fixed that, of course.

Having said that, we never did get our APC USB-capable units to work
reliably with our Linux boxes.  They're all on serial or SNMP cards now.
--
George D M Ross MSc PhD CEng MBCS CITP, University of Edinburgh,
School of Informatics, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 9AB

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.