[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower UPS Help

McCann, Brian bmccann at andmore.com
Thu Feb 16 13:34:25 UTC 2012

> Writing this up has been on my TODO list forever, but in the mean time,
> here's an email thread that talks about blacklisting the UPS from the
> uhid driver:
>
>    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/4575
>
> It's for a slightly different model, but the concept is the same:
> usbhid-ups uses libusb, which can only access USB devices with ugen*
> nodes. The only way to prevent uhid* from stealing the device (at the
> time of that thread - things may have changed) is to add your UPS to the
> blacklist. If you file a PR with FreeBSD, they may even add it for a
> future release.
>
> Then, you can consult section "4) Permissions" in this file:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~thierry/nut_FreeBSD_HowTo.txt
>
> Not sure if you mentioned which version of FreeBSD, but please keep us
> in the loop if these instructions aren't accurate anymore - that will be
> the basis of the official documentation.
>
> --
> Charles Lepple
> clepple at gmail

Thanks Charles.  I tried something similar on FreeBSD 6.2, but it didn't really help.  I just disabled uhci altogether.  It then gave me access to the ugen devices, but it still didn't detect it.  So I put that aside and tried FreeBSD 8.1 (most of my servers are one or the other) since it's USB support is very different.  In fact, when the port compiled it didn't even use libusb.  I didn't have to turn off uhci, but I did have to fiddle with more permissions then that HowTo said.  I got it working, but I changed so much I'm not sure exactly WHAT did it.  I'm going to start again with a fresh system and I'll post back with the steps and changes I made to make it work.

Thanks again,
--Brian