[Nut-upsuser] My NUT experience

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:52:06 UTC 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 9:47 AM, Stephen wrote:

> * Configuration is still tedious for simple home users. Something is wrong if I
> have to a) configure users b) write a script which gets called from upssched and
> handle. Please, just a simple SHUTDOWN_AFTER_X_SECONDS_ON_BATTER variable and
> handle all the state changes internally.

Both of these complaints are valid, but they are at odds with the original design goals of NUT: providing power control and state information over a network (where different privilege levels are necessary for local and remote hosts), and keeping things running as long as possible (which may be shorter or longer than some arbitrary time-on-battery interval). Personally, I find it hard to muster up the enthusiasm to streamline the one-node case if it will make it harder to upgrade one of the 10+ node clusters at work.

We have had several efforts to try and make this easy for the one-node case: GNOME Power Manager integration, and Augeas configuration file template support. GNOME Power Manager has been superseded by another project, and not much has happened with Augeas lately.

It's good to get feedback from users, but it's even better when they can contribute back to the project. Let us know if you're interested in working on this.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail