[Nut-upsuser] eaton evolution not shutting down

Laurent Lesage laurent at lesagepono.be
Tue Feb 21 13:18:24 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just changed my old MGE ellipse for a evolution 850 (now eaton). I can
connect using mge-shut (newmge-shut doesn't work). But I have a few
issues. I lloked around on NUT web-site and googled with no luck.
Using debian lenny on 2.6.18 kernel (due to some ISDN driver that
doesn't work with earlier kernels)
1) the most annoying is that I cannot shutdown the UPS. here is a trace :
> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.66 (2.2.2)
> debug level is '2'
> entering upsdrv_initups()
> entering shut_ups_start()
>
> Communication with UPS established
> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 01, 18)
> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
> Device Descriptor:
> bLength:         0x12
> bDescriptorType:                    0x01
> bcdUSB:         0x0110
> bDeviceClass:         0x00
> bDeviceSubClass:                    0x00
> bDeviceProtocol:     0x00
> bMaxPacketSize0:                    0x08
> idVendor:         0x0463
> idProduct:         0xffff
> bcdDevice:                        0x0100
> iManufacturer:         0x01
> iProduct:                        0x02
> iSerialNumber:         0x03
> bNumConfigurations:     0x01
>
> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 22, 1811)
> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
> Unable to get Report Descriptor

If I put more "D", I see it stucks on "need more data!" like this :
> need more data (1691)!
> Receive: (2 bytes) => 04 88
> Receive: (8 bytes) => 10 b1 82 c0 05 84 09 11
> shut_checksum: 7a => OK
> sent: (1 bytes) => 06
> need more data (1683)!
2) I tried to set some variables. The drivers accept to do it (upsrw)
but the actually do not change. some change but not with the value I set
in the command and come back to their initial value after a few seconds.

Any help appreciated.

Laurent