[Nut-upsuser] eaton evolution not shutting down

Laurent Lesage laurent at lesagepono.be
Tue Feb 21 23:32:50 UTC 2012

Bonjour Arnaud,

Arnaud Quette a écrit :
> 2012/2/21 Laurent Lesage <laurent at lesagepono.be>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

> Bonjour Laurent,
>

>> I just changed my old MGE ellipse for a evolution 850 (now eaton). I can
>> connect using mge-shut (newmge-shut doesn't work). But I have a few
>> issues. I looked around on NUT web-site and googled with no luck.
>> Using debian lenny on 2.6.18 kernel (due to some ISDN driver that
>> doesn't work with earlier kernels)
>> 1) the most annoying is that I cannot shutdown the UPS. here is a trace :
>>
>>> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.66 (2.2.2)
>>> debug level is '2'
>>> entering upsdrv_initups()
>>> entering shut_ups_start()
>>>
>>> Communication with UPS established
>>> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
>>> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
>>> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 01, 18)
>>> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
>>> Device Descriptor:
>>> bLength:         0x12
>>> bDescriptorType:                    0x01
>>> bcdUSB:         0x0110
>>> bDeviceClass:         0x00
>>> bDeviceSubClass:                    0x00
>>> bDeviceProtocol:     0x00
>>> bMaxPacketSize0:                    0x08
>>> idVendor:         0x0463
>>> idProduct:         0xffff
>>> bcdDevice:                        0x0100
>>> iManufacturer:         0x01
>>> iProduct:                        0x02
>>> iSerialNumber:         0x03
>>> bNumConfigurations:     0x01
>>>
>>> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 22, 1811)
>>> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
>>> Unable to get Report Descriptor
>>>
>> If I put more "D", I see it stucks on "need more data!" like this :
>>
>>> need more data (1691)!
>>> Receive: (2 bytes) => 04 88
>>> Receive: (8 bytes) => 10 b1 82 c0 05 84 09 11
>>> shut_checksum: 7a => OK
>>> sent: (1 bytes) => 06
>>> need more data (1683)!
>>>
>> 2) I tried to set some variables. The drivers accept to do it (upsrw)
>> but the actually do not change. some change but not with the value I set
>> in the command and come back to their initial value after a few seconds.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>

> sure, but I need more info.
> first, issue (1) means that the driver can't start, while (2) implies
> that the driver is started...
> is (1) a repeatable issue?

Yes. It happens only when trying to shutdown (upsdrvctl shutdown)
> or is is only that when you're trying to shutdown the UPS (Ie
> 'upsdrvctl shutdown' or 'mge-shut -k ...'), it fails?
>
> can you please send back a full trace, with debug level 5 (Ie -DDDDD),
> in compressed form?

here it is (attached). I have to type ''/lib/nut/mge-shut -a evolution
-k  -DDDDD  > shutdown.trace 2>&1'' to get it (upsdrvctl gives no detail).
> Finally, note that 2.2.2 is quite oldish now, so you may also consider
> an update.

Sure.... :-) (It's the "lenny" version for the moment)

I also noticed sthg strange : the variables and values listed with
"upsrw" seem to be defautl values. I changed some with the windows
configurator but they stil seem to be the same. If I restart the window
MGE software, it gets the modified values, not the default ones. So, it
seems (it seems only!) that the values the "mge-shut" driver gets are
wrong. But the variable names are meaningful and totally related to the
functionnalities of the UPS  - so their names must be correct.

for example, upsrw gives (but for example, the "outlet.2.delay.start"
should be 120, as configured by the windows software - and here it is
"-1") :

Laurent