[Nut-upsuser] Server Does Not Shut Down

Steve Read sd_read at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 26 20:14:34 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have a UPS connected to my server with the following:

Server is Suse 10.1
Nut version is Network UPS Tools - Generic UPS driver 1.32 (2.0.4)
I installed this around 2005 and cannot remember how I installed the software.

ups.conf:
[sdrups]
driver = genericups
port = /dev/ttyS0
desc = "For Server & Backup"
upstype = 9

upsd.conf:
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
ACL server 192.168.0.4/255.255.255.0

ACCEPT localhost
ACCEPT server
REJECT all

upsd.users:
[root]
password = autocad
allowfrom = localhost server
instcmds = all
upsmon slave
upsmon master# or upsmon slave

upsmon.conf:
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
MONITOR sdrups at localhost 1 root autocad master
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"

This has been running flawlessly since I installed it until recently. The problem is that the UPS died. What I did not mention is the UPS is home made using a switching AC to DC and a Inverter to convert the DC back to AC along with a microcontroller and a car battery (it is outside in the garage)

While replacing the power supply (because that is what smoked) I decided to rebuild the microcontroller. It is complete however I cannot get the AC present and low battery to work properly. It uses a standard serial port with simple relay switching.

I made a simple device to apply either +12 or -12volts to both pin 1(DCD) and pin 8 (CTS) to help me understand the correct handshake but I am very confused.

Here is a table of what I get:

StatePin 1Pin 9Note What I understand it means
1+12V+12VOLOn Line - normal operation.
2-12V+12VLB OLI don't understand this. It should be On Battery.
3+12V-12VOBI thought this should be Low Battery.
4-12V-12VOLI thought the server should shut down?

Note: results of running:
/usr/local/ups/bin/upsc sdrups at localhost ups.status

I am completely confused as this has been working for years.
The only state that I understand is state 1.
Also, none of these states causes the server to shut down.

Where I live I don't get many power failures that cause the UPS to shut down the server but I have had them and so it used to work.

Please help me in understanding what is wrong. Because it has run for years I don't remember anything about how it works.

Thank you for any help- Steve