[Nut-upsuser] Upsonic IRT1000 on Nut 2.2.1-2.1ubuntu7.2 (Ubuntu Hardy)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Mar 7 05:46:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 04:19:44PM +1100, Matthew Cengia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a client who is currently using an UPSonic IRT1000 UPS
> (http://www.upsonic.com.au/industrial-rt.php), and is running NUT
> 2.2.1-2.1ubuntu7.2 on Ubuntu Hardy, which I've not been able to get to
> work using either USB or RS232. I *believe* the UPS is supposed to use
> the Megatec driver, but am not 100% sure.
>
> I can see three possible resolutions to my problem, which leads me to
> seeking an answer to one of the following questions (in order of highest
> to lowest preference):
>
> 1.  Has anybody had this UPS work with such an old NUT release? If so,
>     how?

Not me.

> 2.  Has anybody successfully compiled and installed a newer release of
>     NUT on Ubuntu Hardy? If so, where was it from and what procedure was
>     followed?

Not me.  But it is theoretically possible, although it may require some
backporting of things that might render the Ubuntu Hardy system a dogs
breakfast of packages.  ;-)  i.e. it might require several cycles to get
it right.

> 3.  Can anybody recommend a UPS that meets the following specs:
>
>     * Works with the aforementioned version of NUT, either via USB or
>       RS232
>     * Is ideally rack-mountable (and no taller than 2U) - as a
>       fall-back, free-standing is satisfactory
>     * Supplies at least 650 watts of power
>     * Costs under AU$1000

Can't talk about a rack mountable unit, but I've been happy with a
PowerShield series.  I got a PowerShield Commander 2000 for $990 last
year.  I think I had NUT running on Ubuntu 11.04, but didn't find I
needed it, and repurposed the cable.

> P.S. I've looked for but not found a NUT IRC channel. Does one exist,
> and if so, where can I find it?

No idea.  Quozl on freenode #olpc.

--
James Cameron