[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart-UPS 1200

Kris Jordan nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
Thu Oct 4 20:02:24 UTC 2012

Arnaud Quette wrote, On 10/4/2012 9:26 AM:

> 2012/10/4 Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
> <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>>
>
>     On 10/04/2012 05:55 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>         [...]
>
>         Also note that this unit is supported through USB, but recent
>         SmartUPS (for ~ 3 years) use a new serial protocol, called
>         microlink, which is not supported in NUT (nor in any other
>         opensource solution).
>

>     Is that true for the SmartUPS 1000 VA (
>     http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1000i
>     ) ? I plan to buy one next week and if it's not supported by nut (
>     or apcupsd in case of emergency ) I'll go shopping something else
>

> AFAICT, "newer" (since ~3 years) APC unit using the microlink for
> serial communication are not supported anywhere.
> Binary protocol, not documented, nor reverse engineered (yet).
> Some readings: http://forums.isxusergroups.com/thread.jspa?messageID=29863
>
> Another reading (search for "Do Not Purchase The Following UPSes"):
> http://www.apcupsd.com/

Apcupsd works with microlink UPS's, but only the most basic status info
is provided. It's not the microlink protocol it's working with, but some
other basic communication mode those UPS's provide. You can get full
info back by purchasing the legacy communications card.

Does NUT not work in a similar way with these UPS's?