[Nut-upsuser] Eaton 3S550

Kris Jordan nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
Thu Oct 11 06:00:07 UTC 2012

Windows 7 Pro x64
Eaton 3S550 (brand new, battery mfg 8/15/2012)
NUT 2.6.5-3

ups.status: OL CHRG

CHRG was present even though it has been plugged in a few days turned on
and battery.charge was 100%.

Log includes me running upsc and removing power long enough to see that
battery.charge will decrease.

This UPS doesn't have controlled outlets despite what the upsc output says.

---

I've come across an undocumented feature on this UPS. Holding down the
power button when the UPS is off seems to put it into some kind of
config mode. If it's a sensitivity adjustment, NUT is not reporting it.

It says it does a self-test when turned on, but it doesn't appear to be
going on-battery. I'm used to APC UPS's where holding down the button
does a self-test, so that's why I stumbled onto that.

Now I don't know what I might have changed. Tomorrow I'll go see what
Eaton software I should DL and try that, unless someone enlightens me
before I get to that.

---

I had to reinstall to get a proper usb_device.inf. Is there an easier
way to regenerate that file when dealing with multiple UPS types on a
test system?

---

I noticed that NUT doesn't provide a way to update the battery date on
UPS's which I've been able to previously with other software. I assume
the bad battery warning is unaffected by this parameter?

Thanks!