[Nut-upsuser] Multiple UPS and shutdown sequence.

Douglas Parsons doug at parsonsemail.com
Sat Mar 16 06:07:45 UTC 2013

Daniel,

Yes this can be done with some manipulation of the minsupplies setting and
the monitor settings.

The LDAP servers would monitor themselves as normal and shut down as normal.

The NFS server would get a weird config. It would monitor its own UPS as
well as the UPS on each LDAP server.
Set the monitor command for the NFS to have 3 supplies. (Yeah you are lying
to the system).
Set the monitor statement on the NFS server for the LDAP servers  to have 2
supplies each. Then set your minsupplies to 5.

In effect you have told the NFS server it has seven power supplies and it
needs 5 to run. If the NFS UPS goes down the number drops to 4 (less than
5) so the system starts to shutdown. If only one of either of the LDAP
servers goes down you are still at 5 so NFS stays up. If both go down you
are at 3 so less than 5 then shutdown.

The NFS can look at the UPS monitored on itself as well as look at the UPS
on other boxes at the same time those boxes are monitoring themselves.

Check out
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.conf.html

And

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.html

For command details.

There are also some timer settings that should allow you to shut down the
NFS server before the LDAP servers go down.

Doug