[Nut-upsuser] Belkin UPS, master netbook, slave MythTV server

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 03:24:46 UTC 2014

On Nov 14, 2014, at 6:16 AM, Greg Vickers <daehenoc at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've finally gotten around to setting up the netbook that controls my UPS and I would like to make sure that I've got the metacode correct before configuring nut :)
>
> Here's what I've got:
> Belkin UPS F6C120auUNV
> Batteries recently replaced
> On battery: 24 port switch, PoE AP, antenna power booster, ADSL modem, MythTV server, 19" monitor
> On surge protection: Netbook (details below)
> I would like the UPS to turn off at 20% battery capacity
I'm assuming the "120" means "1200 VA", like this model:

http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/cayman/docs/latest/ddl/Belkin/Universal_UPS_F6C120-UNV.html

Depending on the UPS settings, you might be able to use upsrw to directly tell the UPS to shut off at 20%, or you might need the "ignorelb" flag:

   http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html
> Netbook with Debian 7.7.0,
> Attached via USB to Belkin UPS
> Battery in netbook lasts three hours, it will outlast the UPS by a fair way, so does not need UPS battery supply
> ‘master’ where upsd runs
> runs upsc, upsd, upsmon, upsc, nut-cgi, apache, nagios
Seems reasonable. One question which you may have already answered: what if the UPS battery gets to 20% and upsmon signals a shutdown - how does the netbook know how to turn back on later?

If the netbook doesn't have a way to boot back up automatically when the power comes back, you might be able to find a cheap SBC or WiFi router with a USB port, that can run NUT and act as the master. (A few people have discussed using a Raspberry Pi for this.)

> MythTV server with Ubuntu 14.04
> plugged into Belkin UPS
> to be turned off within 5 minutes of loss of supply
> to be turned back on after 15 minutes of return of supply (WOL?)
> 2xSSD drives, 1x4Tb 3.5”, 1x250Gb 2.5”
> ‘slave’ system
> I'm digging through the nut documentation now, I'm sure that I can configure nut to do all of this... right?

I think you want upsmon to trigger upssched for the "off after 5 minutes" requirement. I don't use upssched myself; hopefully someone else can offer help if needed. If nothing else, we do have source code :-)

The soft shutdown/WOL part seems possible.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail