[Nut-upsuser] stale/dead ups logic

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:34:08 UTC 2015

On Sep 14, 2015, at 1:36 AM, d tbsky <tbskyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi:
>    when testing nut in our environment, we found something that nut
> maybe tune for "stale/dead ups" situation. currently the "dead ups"
> are assume alive(eg: host shutdown unnecessary), unless it is in the
> "OB" state before going to stale.

Correct. "data stale" is meant to be an indication that something is wrong with the UPS or driver, rather than as a definitive power state. Ideally, upsmon sees a transition from "OL" to "OB" to "OB LB" without any intervening "data stale" errors.

I would recommend investigating ways around the "data stale" error, rather than investing time in logic that is only meant to be a last resort. The driver man pages mention a few cases where the NUT default timeouts might not be appropriate, and can be adjusted to avoid the "data stale" condition.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail