[Nut-upsuser] Incorrect scale on values for TRIPPLITE UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:57:26 UTC 2016

On Dec 7, 2016, at 1:19 AM, <dwilliss at inebraska.com> wrote:

> OS: Debian 3.16.36
> Nut version: 2.7.2
> Install method: apt-get
> Device: TRIPPLITE SMART1300LCDT using usbhid-ups driver
>
> Problem:
> The output from upsc has a few incorrect values.  They appear to be a matter of scale.

Thanks for the detailed report.

Based on the version number above, it looks like you are using the Debian "jessie" release. In "stretch" (the next release) is NUT 2.7.4, which includes the following commit:

   https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/commit/ee25d33f19b9eb74bdbf94590975b3f954afe4b3

Although your unit is a SMART1300LCDT rather than SMART1500LCDT, it has the same USB product ID (3016), so the scaling code added by that patch should work on your system.

There are several ways to get the new version of NUT, but the answer provided here seems to work in a quick test on a local Debian jessie container:

   http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/253866

Since NUT is in the main part of the package pool, you can follow that suggestion to the letter. Currently, it says to add this to /etc/apt/sources.list (although you could also create a new *.list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d):

   deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch main

And create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release with the following contents:

   APT::Default-Release "jessie";

Then, run "apt-get update". Running "apt-cache policy nut-server" should show something like this:

# apt-cache policy nut-server
nut-server:
  Installed: 2.7.2-4
  Candidate: 2.7.2-4
  Version table:
     2.7.4-4 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
     2.7.2-4 0
        990 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

Since the "jessie" version has a higher priority (990), the "stretch" packages would not be installed by default, but you can pass a flag to apt-get to override that:

   apt-get -t stretch install nut-client nut-server

Make a note to remove the default-release file when you upgrade that system to "stretch".

Reliability of the USB connection has been an issue for the SMART1500LCDT series (the UPS provides power and updates the LCD status, but frequently disappears from the USB bus) on newer motherboards (typically those capable of USB 3.0). The investigation is ongoing, but we may be closer to figuring out why:

   https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/300#issuecomment-265324133

At the moment, we do not have a .deb-based solution (other than for Ubuntu), but it is possible to recompile NUT, and we do plan to roll the fix into a future version of NUT.

Let us know how it goes.