[Nut-upsuser] Questions about Eaton 5E 1, 100W 2, 200VA 6-Outlet UPS

Michael Evans mjevans1983 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 02:15:35 UTC 2016

I can't seem to get the longer battery tests to actually run:

test.battery.start
test.battery.start.deep

Both appear to leave the battery voltage at line-power levels; while the
quick test does have a notable voltage delta.

Are there any other tests I can perform or ways that I can help gather data
to get the longer tests supported?

I borrowed a 60W light bulb (instead of one of the new weird ones that
stores are now selling to drive people to just try an LED light).

For the 1100W/2200 VA 5E model a 60W light registers as a ups.load of ~2
(clearly truncated; I guess this correlates to approximately floor((100 *
60)/2200))

It took me a while to remember that I needed to configure upsd.users and
use a completely different command ( upscmd instead of upsc ) to interact
with the UPS and get it to run a battery test.

In my case   upscmd eaton5e test.battery.start.quick   allowed me to see a
maximum default.battery.voltage.high of 26.5

(This typically reads at ~27.50 (27.20 - 27.80) while on line power)

It took me a bit of effort to arrange a larger load that I don't care
about, but after setting it up this weekend I have an initial test load of
'33' (which the light bulb calibration says should be approximately the
same as 16 * (60 watt bulb unit)).

Next the actual battery test

upscmd eaton5e test.battery.start.deep
Username (root): *****
Password: *****
OK

Though the output appears to indicate that it is not running the test:

battery.voltage: 27.60
device.type: ups
driver.name: nutdrv_qx
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.productid: 0003
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.parameter.vendorid: 06da
driver.version: 2.7.4-151-g9209e18
driver.version.data: Q1 0.07
driver.version.internal: 0.28
input.frequency: 59.9
input.voltage: 120.3
input.voltage.fault: 120.3
output.voltage: 120.3
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.load: 33
ups.productid: 0003
ups.status: OL
ups.type: offline / line interactive
ups.vendorid: 06da

upscmd eaton5e test.battery.start
Username (root): *****
Password: *****
OK

I thought that might have worked, but it too still rests on line power.

The test.battery.start.quick command does, BRIEFLY (~1min), put it on to
battery.

battery.voltage: 26.30
device.type: ups
driver.name: nutdrv_qx