[Nut-upsuser] How do I configure NUT?

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Aug 3 14:47:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Tomas Larsson wrote:

> Hi there. I need some advise on how to configure NUT, if it is possible
> to do it. My UPS, a Compaq R3000

I thought the Compaq R3000 Line was a Series of laptops designed and built
by Hewlett-Packard Corporation, not a UPS?

> has three individual power segments.
>
> I want NUT to:
> When mains is interrupted.
> Shut down all serves immediately.

I'm not sure of your topology, but it looks as if it would be easier to
separate the problem into pieces.

1. The servers.  Make one of the servers the master, and all the others
slaves.  This then becomes a well known NUT setup for master + slaves, in
which the master begins the shutdown operation as soon as status [OB] is
seen.  All the servers need to have upsd and upsmon running.  The server
master does not shut down the UPS.

> When all servers are completely down, in sequence with time delay shut
> down two of the power segments.

2. Later, based on a upssched timer, some other system "S" running upsd
and upsmon shuts down the power segments.

> When batteries is about to be depleted shut down itself and the last
> power segment.

3. When system "S" detects the [OB LB] status it shuts down itself and
calls for a delayed shutdown of the UPS.

> When power returns, start up the power segments in sequence.

This supposes that the power outlets of the UPS have been disconnected,
and are reconnected when wall power returns.

Roger